Friday, September 08, 2006

A reason to believe

I really can't remember what actually brought me into web programming in the first place. After I finished my secondary school education, my mum had registered me in a computer school where I had some basic computer knowledge and learnt how to play a lot of games. But then something had drawn me into the weird world of the www and suddenly I found myself trying to learn how all those fancy images, colored texts, beautiful animations, buttons, effects, multimedia, dynamism and functionality jell together to make that interesting things we come on net to do and look for all day.
Unfortunately, I had all odds against me. There was really no one around to give me a push through, no place I can actually get that knowledge I so much crave for, even if it was to cost me some dough, and to make matters worst, I had no computer of my own or at least a fast access to one. But then in my own funny way of life, I had tried all possible best to overcome this and fulfill that strong desire for creativity.
Needless to say it was very rough. Having to spend my last pocket money on getting on net to read tutorials there online, having to hang around forums and chat rooms looking for that angel to help with some codes and having to look around for platforms to deploy and test all the things I have been reading.
I didn't really see a future in it but I was simply enjoying it and turning back was the last thing on my mind; if only for those of my friends who saw much fun in the little stunts I pull once in a while.
This went on for 3 rough years still with no hopes of getting something out from my so much treasured skill. I remember sitting down dreaming of one day having a computer of my own and one day been sought after by someone or at least having an opportunity to show what I've got.
My first very public project is still very fresh to me now. Without been mobilized, I had personally sought funds to hire a computer and book online time just to execute the work. And then when the money came months later, it was like a dream come true and my joy knew no bounds. It wasn't that it was much of a money but there was just this joy that there was value in what I can do.
Then suddenly, things just turn around. By a very slight chance, a course mate of mine had simply got to know I'm into web designs and development and then link me up with a company in need of one. And that was just the chance I need. Within a flash, it was all another story. I remember dreaming of having just a desktop computer, not minding a fairly used one or even one with a low processor speed but in contrast what I landed was a brand new laptop. And today, that skill that seem not going to be useful has turned a great pay out for me, even as a student.
Have you got something you are into - a gift, talent or something that holds your passion? Hey don't loose it. Hold on to it, even if there seems no light at the end of the tunnel.

© Opeyemi Obembe, 30-08-2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home